Family of Thomas Bryan (252) & Frances Bowlinge
661. Robert Bryan. Born ca 1587 in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire. Robert was baptized in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, on 12 Sep 1587. Robert died on 20 May 1626 in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire.
On 21 Jan 1611/2 Robert married Dorothy Rye in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire.
662. Michael Bryan. Born ca 1587/8 in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire. Michael was baptized in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, on 2 Mar 1587/8.
663. Elizabeth Bryan. Born ca 1590 in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire. Elizabeth was baptized in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, on 3 Jul 1590. Elizabeth died bef 1606.
664. William Bryan. Born ca 1591 in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire. William was baptized in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, on 3 Nov 1591.
William married Ellen [Bryan].
665. Austin Bryan. Born ca 1593 in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire. Austin was baptized in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, on 1 Apr 1593.
666. John Bryan. Born ca 1595 in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire. John was baptized in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, on 11 Apr 1595. John died ca 2 May 1595 in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire. Buried on 2 May 1595 in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire.
667. Rebecca Bryan. Born ca 1596 in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire. Rebecca was baptized in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, on 3 Sep 1596.
668. Faith Bryan. Born ca 1598 in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire.
Faith married Edward Woodbridge.
669. Amy Bryan. Born ca 1601 in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire. Amy was baptized in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, on 8 Oct 1601.
On 17 Oct 1623 Amy married Samuel Baldwin.
670. Alexander Bryan. Born ca 1602 in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire. Alexander was baptized in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, on 23 Sep 1602.54 Alexander died in between 20 Jul 1679 and 6 Nov 1679 in Milford, CT.54
Freeplanter at Milford, New Haven Co, CT. Assistant Governor of the Colony of Connecticut (until 1673).
Alexander first married Anne Baldwin (4190) , daughter of Robert Baldwin (1689) (ca 1562-between 22 Mar 1605/6 and 1 Apr 1606) & Joan Robinson, in England. Born ca 1604. Anne died on 20 Feb 1661 in Milford, CT.54
Their children include:
Alexander second married Susanna [Bryan].
671. Sarah Bryan. Born ca 1602 in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire. Sarah was baptized in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, on 25 Aug 1602. Sarah died on 13 Nov 1669 in Milford, CT.60 Buried on 13 Nov 1669.61
After Sylvester Baldwin died, Sarah went to New Haven with five in her family and married 1640, Capt. John Astwood of Milford when her property was valued at £800, beside several parcels of land. Sarah gave 1 Oct. 1666 the cottage Sylvester Baldwin inherited to Edward Baldwin of Guilford, Co. Surrey, call. him "kinsman." In her will of 9, proved 20 Nov 1669, she provides for son John, and John his son, for Sylvanus, son of her son Richard, deceased and three of her daughters (one probabaly having died) of which two were married, Sarah, first wife of Benjamin Fenn, and Mary, widow of Robert Plum, beside six granddaughters.
ca 1620 Sarah first married Sylvester Baldwin (4180) , son of Sylvester Baldwin (1687) (ca 1560-bef 18 Feb 1632/2) & Jane Wells (ca 1572-10 Nov 1669). Born ca 1595 in Aston Clinton, Buckinghamshire.12 Sylvester died on 21 Jun 1638 in transit abord ship.60
From the Baldwin Genealogy:54
“He was the emigrant to New England, who died on board ship Martin, June or July, 1638. He is first mentioned in the will of his uncle Richard in 1632/3, as executor and residuary legatee—a high compliment to his nephew from a man of property and apparent sence of Richard, especially as the next heir of Richard was a prosperous lawyer. He married Sarah ———, whose surname Hon. John D. Baldwin, of Worcester, informed me [author Charles Candee Baldwin] long since, on the authority of Hon. Ralph D. Smith, of Guilford, Conn., was Bryant. Mr. Smith, a very high authority in early relationships in Connecitcut, could not some yars after, on my visiting him in Guilford, give me his authority. The fact, however, will appear very probable, as the English relationship and acquaintance of the Bryants was then unknown, having been afterwards discoverd by myself.”
“At a Court of Assistants, held at Boston, the 4th of the 7th month, 1638, (4 Sept., 1638)
“‘The will of Silvester Bauldwin was p’sented unto the Court, and his wife Sarah and sonne Rich’d were allowed executors according to the will.’ (Mass. Records, Vol. 1, p. 23, marg. 226) Mr. Savage gives the followin account of this will:
“‘On the main ocean, bound for N.E., his noncupative will was made 21 June, and proved 13 July, of that year, before Dept. Gov. Dudley, by oaths of Chad Brown, Francis Bolt, James Weeded and John Baldwin. The estate was good and provision liberal for the six children, as well as the widow, to whom, with son Richard, our general court, 4 Sept. follwing, committeed the administration.’
“I sought for this will ro its record as long ago as 1869, but could not find it, nor could Mr. Savage for me, although he kindly left his residence with me and sought in the Probatge and Secretary of State’s office. I believe it to be in the latter office, or at least to have been therre. The widow went with the emigrants to New Haven, and was the widow Baldwin enrolled amongthe first planters there, five in her family, and £300 in the list, and lots were afterward drawn in her right. She married, 1640, John Astwood, of Milford, Connecticut, when her perperty was valued at £800, besides several parsels of land. John Astwood came in the spring of 1635, aged 26, a husgbandman, from Stanstead Abbey, Hertfordshire. He arrived in the Hopewell, Capt. William Bundoch. He settled at Roxbury, Mass., with his brother James. He was freeman there 3 mar, 1636; removed to Milford, 1739.”
From the Hickok Genealogy:3
“Sylvester Baldwin, born about 1600 at Aston-Clinton; lived at Saint Leonards near Dundridge, where he owned the chapel Farm; Executor of will of Uncle Richard Baldwin, who dsp 1636, leaving the manor to Henry, son of Sylvester Baldwin and brother of the executor; soon after this he sailed to America; in July 1638 with his wife, Sarah and six children he sailed in the ship Martin with the New Haven Co. Sylvester died in midocean, 31 Jun 1638; on the main ocean bound for New England, his nuncupative will was made 21 June 1636, proved 13 July 1636 before Dept. Governor Dudley, when the ship arrived in Boston. Sarah, his wife and her son, Richard were appointed executors of her husband’s will by the Court of Assistance. There was a large estate and the widow and children decided to remain in America and settle as they had intended at New haven, where in 1643, Mrs. Baldwin was rated as one of the wealthiest proprietors.”
Sylvester and Sarah, probably with all their children except Richard, took passage on the ship Martin for New England in 1638. He died abord ship 21 Jun 1638, but not before he made out a will which was proved 13 Jul 1638 before Deputy Gov. Dudley in Massachusetts.60,24
Richard’s father willed him a cottage and close St. Leonards.24
Check out the Baldwin Genealogy.
Their children include:
In 1640 Sarah second married Capt. John Astwood.60 Born ca 1610 in England.60 John died in 1654 in London, England.3
John was sent to London as a representative of the New Haven Colony in 1653. He died a year later.60
672. Frances Bryan. Born ca 1604 in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire. Frances was baptized in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, on 26 Mar 1604.54
On 7 Oct 1638 Frances married Thomas Horwood in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire.
673. Mary Bryan. Born ca 1606 in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire. Mary was baptized in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, on 19 Apr 1606.54
On 20 Sep 1630 Mary married John Shurles.
674. Elizabeth Bryan. Born ca 1606 in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire. Elizabeth was baptized in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, on 21 Nov 160.54
675. Anne Bryan. Born ca 1606/7 in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire. Anne was baptized in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, on 21 Jan 1606/7.
676. Alice Bryan. Born ca 1609 in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire. Alice was baptized in Aylesbury on 1 Nov 1609. Alice died in Jan 1625/6 in Tring, Hartford, England. Buried on 10 Jan 1625/6 in Tring, Hartford, England.
Alice married Thomas Oviatt.
Their children include:
677. John Bryan. Born ca 1609 in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire. John was baptized in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, on 26 Mar 1609.
Previous · Next
Contents · Index · Surnames · Contact
Created Jul 2013 with the reluctant help of Reunion,
from Leister Productions, Inc.